Coasters are important for shielding tabletop surfaces, however they’re typically clunky and boring, so why not create one thing that won’t solely rock at holding your drink, and is visually fascinating too? The graphic “X” form of those DIY coasters is created with pre-reduce strips of balsa, a delicate wooden that eliminates the necessity for a noticed. (Heavy-obligation scissors are robust sufficient for the job!) Construct a set for your self this weekend, and substitute these mundane coasters with a sculptural set that works extra time as trendy artwork!
- 1/4″ Thick balsa wood strips often bought in a spread pack of wooden strip sizes on the ironmongery shop.
- Ruler or T-sq.
- All-function glue
- Black spray paint
1. Reduce 2 strips of balsa wooden roughly four″ lengthy every utilizing a pointy heavy obligation scissors. Use a straight edge to mark the center of every strip.
2. Place a dot of all-function glue onto the middle of 1 strip, and place the opposite strip on prime, matching up the middle marks from the first step, and forming an “X” form. Permit to dry.
three. Place one other 1/four″ strip subsequent to at least one “leg” of the “X” and mark the size with a pen or pencil. Reduce the strip at this mark.
four. Glue the strip you narrow in step three to the leg of the “X”. Press collectively tightly, and wipe off any extra glue.
5. Repeat steps three & four three extra occasions till the “X” is flush on each side.
6. Repeat steps 1-5 three extra occasions to create a complete of four coasters. Sand down any tough edges.
7. Coat coasters with black spray paint. I did 2 coats on all sides. Permit to dry completely.
Word: The massive “X” proven is a pot holder, created the very same method because the coasters solely with eight″ strips of balsa wooden (1/four″ thick).